Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Past, Present and Future

This being my first post on the Wannabe Writer Blog, let me introduce myself. I am benthefirst, 20 years old, your crazy friendly neighborhood half German, half Canadian. I grew up in Germany and went to school there, expect for a year abroad in Canada. I can speak both english and german fluently, although I do mix them up from time to time. My interests range from video games, playing the guitar to painting Warhammer figures, skiing and scuba diving. Oh, and I also write.

I started relatively late compared to others. A friend and I this stupid idea to create a world where we could write all kind of stories in. As we expanded the world, we would get all kind of other authors to join us and write their own stories. Needless to say it failed miserably. First off, we sucked at writing and secondly not a single soul read it.

The idea of writing stuck though and over the years I began to plot out two novels. Remembering the disaster of my last attempt at fiction, I was afraid to even begin writing. I wanted these novels to be good. At the same time, I wanted them to be mine. So I had to get better.

The solution came a couple of years later.While cleaning up I found an old Pokémon game. Becoming nostalgic I looked for the Pokémon series online and watched all of the episodes in 2 month time period. Needless to say my brain was mush afterwards. But I enjoyed the world of Pokémon so much, I started browsing for Fan Fiction. I spent many months browsing FanFiction.net reading, following and reviewing stories. I came to the point where I pretty much had read everything I wanted to and all that was left did not interest me or wasn't worth reading. So I finally put my fears aside and started plotting my own piece of fanfic.  There is enough bad fanfic out there, no one would care if there would be one more.  During the plotting I also came up with a motto.

"The story you want to read is best written by yourself."

And here I am now, still working away on my first piece of fanfic The Next In Line. I must say I am amazed as to how well the story is being received and it gives me hope that I one day may be able to write the novels I planned so long ago.

So what will happen next? I will have to finish The Next In Line before I start anything else. I do not want to have multiple projects running at the same time. I know myself and I wouldn't be able to finish any of them. After that is finish I will write a second piece of Pokémon fanfic, tentatively titled Of Skill and Ability. Afterwards I will evaluate my writing skill and either begin the process of writing my novel over at FictionPress or I'll do another piece of fanfic. 

Now you know the basic rundown of my writing career. Let's hope everything works out as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment