Friday, August 26, 2011

College Begins

Ohh man. Oh man. Ohmanohmanman... This is ACTUALLY HAPPENING! I am IN COLLEGE. Ok, ok. Let me calm down for a minute here. I am here at McDaniel College, getting ready to start my freshman year. I plan to major in Computer Science, and am already having a blast. Today is only my third day here and I am already making new friends, learning things, and just having fun. Read more?

No alcohol for me though. I can't stand the stuff. I laugh though because me and my roommate have the same first name. What are the chances? Currently, the only people on campus are the freshmen, the people who volunteered to carry our stuff to our rooms (Yep, I didn't have to move my own stuff!) and the staff. I am actually sitting in the cafeteria writing this post now. The ENTIRE campus, even the whole golf course, is covered by a wireless network that is free for students to use. My roommate and I get along great so far. He brought his xBox 360, and a bunch of games, plus a 32 inch flatscreen TV. So now we are all set for the semester at least. Can't wait to get settled in, and for orientation to end. Don't get me wrong, I leave being able to take it easy and not worry about classes yet, but the almost constant mandatory meetings where all we do is listen to someone run their mouths are getting old. I look forward to my schedule because it has a decent amount of free time, as well as two classes I will enjoy. Plus I don't have to get up until 9 AM for classes, although I should probably get up sooner for breakfast. I'm just kind of rambling right now...

I wanted though to talk about this really cool program I just found. It's called Scriveener or something like that and costs about $45. It is a Macintosh only program for writing. The thing is pretty cool. It lets me make these little note cards for each chunk of text. Then I can re-arrange them using the note cards, then compile them into one document. I plan on using for writing my FanFics from now on. Why? Because it has already helped me figure out some of my plot for Pure Chaos, which previously was nonexistent. But since I can write cards for blank "Documents" I can plan out what happens and when. Plus I can make each chapter it's own sub-folder and what not, so I can play around with the ordering in each chapter too. The only problem is that the files are not recognized by any other program, so I have to export them once I'm done, then let Aleron edit them, THEN I can post it. In terms of progress, I haven't gotten past even the Authors Notes for Chapter 3 of Pure Chaos yet, but I'm working on it when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment